Sunday, January 10, 2016

Mysterium Tremendum #1: Should everyone be expected to innovate?

Just so you know, I do not have an answer to my own question.  This is my current  mysterium tremendum.

Context

I spoke with a teacher the other day who told me:

"I am a worker bee.  You give me the work, and I will be one of the best teachers you have seen."

My first inclination, as an administrator, was to say, "Well, our job as instructional leaders is to innovate."  But then I thought, while I believe in the growth mindset, while I believe in everyone's capacity to excel, I cannot force others to believe themselves capable of creativity.

I know they are capable or innovation.

I know that in spite of their insecurities, they can create.

But can I really expect, as an instructional leader, everyone to add "curriculum creator" to their plates?

Of Resource Teachers and Curriculum Leads

At my school, we have teachers on special assignment, called resource teachers, or TOSAs, or curriculum leads.  Their job is to act as a liaison between admin and teachers.  But more importantly, they have an extra period to digest and understand new research.  They can create, coach, and do whatever they want related to the curriculum,

Is this where I should expect the innovation?

I was thinking of asking these leaders to create the baseline curriculum for their respective departments.

Note: The following two sections are a logical meditation/exercise that may only give you insight into my thought process...feel free to skip them.

Encouraging Creativity
At the heart of the question behind whether or not we have an obligation to innovate, or a moral imperative to create as part of our educational vocation, is the question of the growth mindset, and even more specifically, what I call the pacing of the practices of growth and innovation.  In that realm we find that apart from encouraging the individual to remain mentally fresh, and encouraging the habits that preserve such a growth mindset, we also should look, with patience, toward the future of the individual innovator.   The pace of the individual can only work if the individual is moving, but it is also limited to his or her insights, which necessitates feedback and modeling.  

Growth and Innovation on the Time Continuum
The ancient stoics knew that we can only control our reactions, which is an exercise in living in the present.The growth mindset itself is living in the present.  Those in the throes of the habit of mind understand the present with the verb I can.  They do not say, I will be able to, nor do they say, I was once able to, but they look at what they can do now.  And what each of us, in the least, can do, right now, is train our mindset.
Our future, however, and our true innovation, comes from an creating new skills, not from nothing, but from the tradition and innovation at present and in the past.  We don't create from scratch; we innovate with combinations.  We participate in an alchemy, an amalgamation of ideas past and present that, having combined themselves in a fresh way, fulfill and designate our future.

So...should everyone be expected to innovate?

I really don't know.  I do expect teachers to at least innovate at the micro-level.  They should be able to observe and create modifications and innovations to suit student needs.  Should they all be expected to create a full curriculum?  I am not sure, but in the very least, a teacher should be able to respond to student needs; yes, in the very least.

The question turns into another...how can we teach observation?  And given that observation always raises a question begging innovative, unique answers, how do we teach a response to observations?  How do we teach innovation?


No comments:

Post a Comment